Mold and mildew are types of fungi that grow and thrive in moist environments. Both can spread quite easily, and if left untreated, they can be pretty destructive to indoor surfaces and can cause severe damage to one’s health. Mold vs. mildew – people often get them confused, so we will review their differences in depth in this blog post.

What is Mold?

Molds are a natural part of the environment and are almost anywhere that moisture and oxygen are present. They are fungi related to mushrooms without the stem, roots, or leaves and live in soil, plants, and decaying matter.

When disturbed, molds release spores into the air, which can trigger the immune system of those with a mold allergy. Mold allergy symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, postnasal drip, cough, watery eyes, and dry skin. Asthma can also be triggered, and symptoms to look out for include coughing, wheezing chest tightness, and shortness of breath.

Mold is usually not a problem unless it starts growing indoors. Indoor molds have a musty smell and usually appear as black spots but can also emerge in various colors. You should permanently remove indoor molds, and failure to do so will result in their growth which can negatively impact one’s health and cause damage to buildings.

The best way to control indoor mold growth is to prevent moisture. Keep humidity levels below 50% for the entire day. Using your air conditioner or a dehumidifier can also help significantly. Also, ensure that indoor air is flowing freely and that you use exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms.

What is Mildew?

Mildew is a type of mold with flat growth on damp surfaces, paper, fabrics, and plants. They can appear as white, grey, or yellow patches with a powdery or fluffy texture and usually turn black or brown over time.

Mildew is extremely destructive to plants and food crops, but the damage done indoors is usually nothing more than cosmetic. In an indoor environment, mildew is often on shower walls, window sills, and other areas with poor lighting and air circulation.

The sooner you remove mildew, the better. If left untreated, mildew spores can pose health risks and cause symptoms such as headaches, sore throat, coughing, and respiratory problems—as a mold typically would.

Preventative measures for mildew are the same as those for mold. Use air conditioners, dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to reduce the moisture indoors. If mold or mildew growth is uncontrollable, have it removed professionally.

Contact Us

Integrity Janitorial Cleaning Services offers deep cleaning and disinfectant services that prevent mold and keeps your facility sanitary from ceiling to floor. Choose from different cleaning packages, including daily, weekly, and monthly packages.

Using electrostatic disinfection in facilities experiencing mold or bacteria outbreaks makes a great addition to everyday janitorial cleaning within corporate offices, medical and healthcare facilities, gyms, commercial kitchens, and warehouses.

If you are experiencing mold or mildew growth in your facility and are interested in our disinfection service, schedule a free consultation now. We’re here to help!