Covid-19 has heightened our awareness of our surroundings and the cleanliness of shared spaces. We do our best to use hand sanitizer, wash our hands frequently, wear face masks, and avoid touching our faces. When we’re in public areas, we look for clean spaces with little foot traffic. If the area doesn’t look or ‘feel’ clean, we’re doubtful about returning! As a result, keeping areas clean requires business owners and facility managers to keep pace with our new reality. To be open and stay open, customers and employees must observe a clean space. Sanitizing and disinfecting play a critical role in keeping businesses open and safe. And, common areas are challenging! Here are 3 tips for managing common areas during Covid-19.
TIP #1 – DETERMINE FOOT TRAFFIC PATTERNS
Each business operates differently and uses its building in different capacities. So, given current pandemic conditions, tracking busy vs. slow periods may be critical. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Is the daily foot traffic volume consistent? Or is foot traffic heavier on certain days and/or certain times?
- Are employees only entering and exiting the building? Or, are there also patrons, customers, and even various contractors using the building? Do they crowd common areas?
- Is there a process for tracking persons entering and exiting the building if the potential for infectious activity occurs?
Depending on your foot traffic observations, you might find, for example, that some areas of your facility require hourly touchpoint disinfectant rotations vs. other areas of your facility that need only weekly standard cleaning.
TIP #2 – DETERMINE HIGH TOUCH SURFACES AND USE APPROPRIATE DISINFECTANTS
Now that you have determined who is entering and exiting the building, it is time to determine frequently touched areas. Common areas that are visited more often are more likely to have higher potential germ activity. That is why it is essential to clean and disinfect common areas in response to your assessed activity. A great way to analyze high touchpoint areas specific to your building is by walking through ‘as a visitor.’ As you do, write down the list of these high touchpoints and make sure they are cleaned and disinfected appropriately.
In addition to these observations, managing common areas during COVID-19 will most certainly include sanitizing the following:
- Door & Cabinet Handles; Push Bars
- Light Switches
- Refrigerator and Microwave Doors
- Chair Handles
- All Kitchenette and Dining Area Touch Surfaces
- All Bathroom Touch Surfaces
- Keyboards and Mice
- Conference Room Touchpoints
- Elevator Buttons
- Drinking Fountains
Once you have your list compiled, determine the appropriate cleaning agent for each space. Proper guidelines are to always:
- Use EPA Registered Agents and follow CDC protocols on cleaning methods.
- Use gloves and appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) when necessary.
- Instruct employees on which agents must be diluted and how to do so according to manufacturer guidelines.
To find the right EPA Registered Agents, visit the EPA website and use List N: Disinfectants for use against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).
TIP #3 – USE A CLEANING COMPANY TO MANAGE COMMON AREAS DURING COVID-19
Weekly, daily, and certainly hourly disinfecting is a big task that can take away from business productivity and core goals. Outsourcing cleaning to a trusted, experienced commercial cleaning company can give you peace of mind so you can focus on your business. When sourcing a commercial cleaning vendor, ensure that they are:
- Experienced in their cleaning processes and training, using EPA registered cleaning agents and compliant with CDC Guidelines.
- Armed with Standard Operating Procedures to provide emergency response for infectious activity.
- Capable of ensuring formal lines of communication and being highly responsive.
INTEGRITY JANITORIAL CLEANING SERVICES – OVER 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
We understand the importance of managing common areas during COVID-19. At Integrity Janitorial Cleaning Services, we specialize in honest, reliable, and effective janitorial cleaning. From high-traffic common areas to COVID-19 deep cleaning/disinfectant services, we service businesses across various industries. Our skilled team members eliminate contaminated sites and keep facilities safe. Contact us today for your free consultation!